Old 13-12-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Vegatables that help convert grassland into workable veggie patch?

In article ,
says...

I have an area of rough grassland (my uncultivated back garden). The soil
isn't bad, although riddled with small flat limestone rocks. I want to turn
the patch into a vegetable patch, with about three 5ft x 30ft beds. Digging
it over would be quite an undertaking; one for which I don't really have
the stamina for. I wondered if planting certain vegetable next Spring,
would make this job easier, by smothering the grass and weeds, and perhaps
improving teh soil.

Use cardboard (flattened large boxes) to cover the soil completely,
held down ideally with vegetable matter but otherwise planks. Cut x's in
the cardboard in spring to plant potatoes, or young courgette plants,
beans etc. Or fruit trees and bushes, and garden plants Keep up the
mulching.

Our entire garden was lawn when we arrived and all the planting has used
the cardboard,mulching no-dig method.

if you google permaculture/lasagne garden you'll find loads of info on
the method.

Janet