Old 15-12-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default ID this plant?

On Dec 14, 4:01*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 12/14/11 2:44 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

http://tinypic.com/r/214wmjm/5

Tx!

HB

Both the flower and leaves appear to be from a "Dutch" tulip. *Don't
bother planting it in the ground. *Where you live (coastal southern
California), tulips are treated as annuals. *They are perennial only
where there is snow in the winter. *Even where I live (inland southern
California), we don't get enough winter chill for the classic Dutch tulip..

If you really want tulips in your garden, try lady tulips (Tulipa
clausiana). *It does not require winter chill.

Thanks, David. I haven't the faintest idea where this came from.
I've never had tulips. In fact I have near zero experience with
bulbs.
(It is a bulb?) So just let this bloom? And then? Wikipedia's
article seems to (sort of) suggest that if the plant undergoes
"vernalization" it might bloom again.

HB