Old 15-12-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds
ReelMckoi ReelMckoi is offline

Default This pond group is dead

"Doug" wrote in message

On 8-Dec-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

Doug

It looks like you're going to have to go with an electric fence. He's
probably not the only fox involved. You can also use a 3 or 4' tall
chicken
wire fence topped with a string of electric. That will also keep rabbits
and
squirrels out of your pond, lawn and garden.

I assume he was after the fish or whatever lives in your pond right now.

There are four fish and a frog or two who live in the pond.

I don't want anything that looks too conspicuous. In the meantime I have
put
up a few simple barriers made of sticks which blocks the route around the
back of the pond and that seems to be working for now but if the attacks
continue I will have to get an electric fence. It all seems a bit much
though, all this technology just because of four little fishes! I have yet
to try my broken beam alarm but the neighbours might object to the noise
in
the middle of the night.

Doug.

This is why I got rid of the fish, removed the net covers, sold off the
pumps and filters and let nature have the ponds. I was tired of dealing with
it all. I enjoy the ponds more now than ever before. They're full of frogs
and little turtles and dragonflies and newts. And no work at all for me.
If predators want to jump in the ponds and go after the frogs and other
creatures, it's OK with me. Nature balances it all out.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.