Old 15-12-2011, 09:45 AM posted to rec.ponds
Doug[_8_] Doug[_8_] is offline

Default This pond group is dead

On 15-Dec-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

On 8-Dec-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

Doug
It looks like you're going to have to go with an electric fence. He's
probably not the only fox involved. You can also use a 3 or 4' tall
chicken
wire fence topped with a string of electric. That will also keep
rabbits
and
squirrels out of your pond, lawn and garden.

I assume he was after the fish or whatever lives in your pond right
now.

There are four fish and a frog or two who live in the pond.

I don't want anything that looks too conspicuous. In the meantime I have

put
up a few simple barriers made of sticks which blocks the route around
the
back of the pond and that seems to be working for now but if the attacks
continue I will have to get an electric fence. It all seems a bit much
though, all this technology just because of four little fishes! I have
yet
to try my broken beam alarm but the neighbours might object to the noise

in
the middle of the night.

Doug.

This is why I got rid of the fish, removed the net covers, sold off the
pumps and filters and let nature have the ponds. I was tired of dealing
with
it all. I enjoy the ponds more now than ever before. They're full of
frogs
and little turtles and dragonflies and newts. And no work at all for me.
If predators want to jump in the ponds and go after the frogs and other
creatures, it's OK with me. Nature balances it all out.

Seems very sensible but I am too far committed and obsessed, as well as not
liking foxes trashing my garden at night and eating the frogs. Besides, its
fun seeing what the 'wildlife' get up to at night unaware of me watching
them.

I have thought of just leaving the fishes to their own resources, apart from
feeding them. I'll give Spring a try and decide after that. I do have
another little pond for the newts and bugs which they have used in the past.

As soon as the weather relents I will remove the netting and put up the
electric fence. The fish seem to have retired to their winter snooze anyway
and there seem to be fewer foxes now.

How come you have turtles instead of fish? Are you in a warm climate which
never freezes?

Doug.