Old 16-12-2011, 09:21 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
Hello, at the moment I am heating my greenhouse by a 3 kw Electric heater. but
the electric bill is getting rather large!

I am thinking of switching to a Propane Gas heater of 2 - 3 kw, has anybody any
thoughts about this?

Thank you,

Tony.
Have a look at this link:
Fuel Prices

Electricity has an average price of 12.6p per kWh (assuming you're not on economy 7)

Propane starts at 9.2p, but that's for a cylinder over a metre high, which you're unlikely to be using on a greenhouse heater; smaller sizes of cylinder are between 13.3p and 26p per kWh

So your best bet is to improve insulation and use your heater as efficiently as possible - keep the plants in one partitioned-off area and heat that, get an accurate thermostat.