Old 16-12-2011, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The use of links

On 16/12/2011 11:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 15/12/2011 21:07, Dave Hill wrote:

Why the difficulty copying and pasting? Highlight the text you want to
copy, press Control and c, change to the Usenet message, put the cursor
where you want the copied text to appear, and press Control and v.

Simples!

--

Jeff

Yes Jeff I do know how to cut and paste, but if someone is just to
bloody idle to look up a simple thing on Google (or Chrome or what
ever) then why the hell should I bother to do the work for them.
David

As Spider has pointed out, it's often unclear how to limit a search to
return a sensible number of hits.

And therein lies a real problem for dialuppers. They may have to wait
ages for graphics-rich pages to download before finding that their 12th
hit is the one which has the answer. I suppose they could try to limit
their browsing to text-only, but I just had a look and can't see that as
an option in Firefox or IE9.

It doesn't bother me to copy and paste something into a Usenet message.
I have more of a beef with those who post a link to a photo they've
taken, and the bloody thing is the native umpteen Mb file size that
their camera saved it as. But I suppose they are not aware that screen
resolution is limited, and a 100k *.jpg is more than adequate to view
something that you don't need to print. Heaven help a dialupper who
clicks on /that/ link.

As someone who is actually stuck with crappy dial-up I do tend to ask
questions on here rather than look them up on Google. This newsgroup is
simply faster. As mentioned lots of web pages are so stuffed full of
graphics that they take ages to load and I often give up waiting and go
to a different site.

I'm always wary of links from unknown people, especially if they are
hidden with a tinyurl or similar. There are so many sites now designed
to hijack your browser and install malware. I only trust my browser and
security so far, a degree of caution is prudent.

I do use Google for research but it is something of a mixed blessing.

Besides this group is full of fun and interesting people! ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.