Old 16-12-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pounding down snow

On 12/16/2011 03:35 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
On 16/12/2011 14:35, Emery Davis wrote:
What a day, redux. It's dark as night right now, snow swirling and
sheeting across the fields. Good day for staying inside.

We had 120 kph gusting last night on our Normandy hilltop, with
prodigious rain (gauge overflowed at 40 mm). I got the house shuttered
and moved all the pots to ground level before it hit, but we have a few
branches down, looks like a smallish unstaked maple blew over, and I
have a tree down over the public path -- up to me to get it out of the
way of course.

Looking through the window makes me want to take a long winter's nap!

-E

Not quite so bad in this part of Normandy. 29 mm of rain overnight, but
very windy. Not as bad as the night before which managed to blow some
rain under the roof and part of a ceiling collapsed!

That sounds iffy. An old tile roof, I'm guessing? What we've got too.
Worst is light dry snow, it blows right through and settles in the attic.

The storm seems to have tracked away south, so most of the wind was
across the Massif Centrale. I wonder how Judith fared.

We got some water in the wood shed where the gutters couldn't keep up,
but otherwise no flooding problems. The veg producer in the village
who's in a sharp valley (usually a good thing) got all the tunnels
flooded out, a real mess apparently.

No snow yet. I don't want any. Feel free to keep that for yourself. ;-)

Snow's gone, bright and blustery now. Some traces in the fields but
roads should be fine. I'll find out in about a 1/2 hour.