Old 16-12-2011, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Vegatables that help convert grassland into workable veggie patch?

On Dec 15, 9:58*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
gogo wrote :

Last Spring, I planted some purple broccili there. They didn;t
ptoduce any flowering tops, but did a great job of smothering all the
grass and weeds. At the end of the season, I found they were easy to
pull up and chuck onto the compost heap, leaving teh ground much
easier to work.

not really replying to your main question but:
I know you said you are not a Broccoli fan, but are you sure they were
not a variety which produce on the second year?
The ones I have at home have to spend one winter in the beds before
producing the second year..

Gosh, no! I had no idea that might be the case! Oh well, it just as well
that I'm not really a broccili fan!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The pumpkin/squash/marrow idea sounds
perfect, as I am a big fan of those, especially marrows / courgettes.

The cardboard mulch idea is intereting. However, does it not create an
absolute breeding haven for slugs and snails? (Both are a nightmare where I
live.)

Al

You'd have to be a *very* big fan of cucurbits to eat a whole garden
full of them.

NT