Old 17-12-2011, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default OT - Automatic Internet Explorer Updates

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:24:37 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 Jake wrote:

Now and again, we discuss different browsers and our experiences with
them. In case you haven't picked it up, from January, Microsoft will
start silently updating Internet Explorer to the latest version - this
isn't security updates, it's updating IE7, say, to IE9.

More info he http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912.

It may be an issue for some people. I use Chrome most of the time but
I've found, e.g., that IE is more reliable when I'm doing my online
tax return, provided I use IE7. IE8 and IE9 don't work.

If you haven't upgraded your operating system to at least Windows Vista,
you'll not get IE9.

But you will get IE8 with XP and IE8 doesn't work for me with Inland
Revenue web site (among others). I've also experienced a raft of PDF
problems with IE8 (and 9).

That's strange because I haven't had problems with IE8. Well, once I'd
got used to it, of course!

David

Might be OS-based problem for me. I'm on Vista and 7. XP was/is a good
OS. Vista is c**p but the cost of up or downgrading gets in the way of
change and as I only use it for low-level graphics/video editing or on
a laptop it doesn't matter too much. IME most driver problems with 7
can be overcome. I've got a multifunction fax/printer/scanner that
*should" only work either wireless OR wired but not both and not with
anything above Vista but I've been able to fix it to work wired with
Win7 and wireless with Vista simultaneously. All it takes is a bit of
lateral thinking.

I know I'm not the only one experiencing problems with IE8/9 and PDFs.

Inland Revenue tech support people acknowledged problems with IE8/9
but blame Adobe. Adobe blame Microsoft who blame Adobe and Inland
Revenue. Filing a tax return on a BlackBerry or an Android device is,
unfortunately, not easy but both cope with the download side so well
it almost makes me weep.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling (after the great storm) from
the usually dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.