Old 19-12-2011, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Wonder what this weed is?

On 12/19/2011 7:52 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Frank said:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

Can't tell too much from the picture, but here is an aggressive,
invasive grass that you'd want to hope it isn't (but it could be):

Japanese Stilt Grass
http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/japanstgrass.htm

Thanks. That has to be it as rest of description at site fits.
Looks like physical control (pulling) is only real option I have as
glyphosphate would harm grass or surrounding ground cover. As neighbors
on three sides in back do nothing to control it, they would be seed
source even if all mine was removed.

For years, I thought it was shading out ivy from growing on banks until
I discovered deer were the problem.

Frank