Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
J. H.

Default help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help

Thanks for the reply Tony.

I thought I set the tank up properly for no algae problems I heavily
planted the whole bottom with fast growin stem species from my previous
planted tank and they are growing like crazy. I have pressurised CO2
keeping the levels high and high light. On others reccomendations I was not
going to dose any nutrients till week 3 or 4 but the greenwater still
happened. I have no fishload in the tank at all at the moment and have been
trying Dominics methods but its just getting greener.. currently in the
process of dumping 3/4 of the water

Cheers
Jon

"Tony" wrote in message
om...
Jon,

I just went through the same thing you did about 6 months ago. I set
up a 46 gallon tank with high light.

Here is my tank discription:
46 gallon (174 liter)
2 compact flourecent bulbs, 98 watts each
DIY CO2 at about 20ppm
Seachem Flourish, 1mL every other day
4 moderate size goldfish (Comets)
Ehimen ProII 2026
Substrate is gavel of varing sizes
Bottom half of substrate is 2-3mm gavel with laterite
Medium planted

As I said, I went through the same greeen water that you went through.
I think it is pretty common, and espically so with beginners with
high light tanks. There are ways to avoid it when setting up a tank,
but you may not be willing to start over.

I purchased a UV sterilizer. It worked pretty well, although it took
about a week to clear up. I think I had a pretty large bloom because
I got a 25W sterilizer which is quite large for 46 gallons. With
regards to your question about green water coming back, it usually
doesn't. At least it hasn't with me. I think once a tank has cycled
it is less like to have green water.

I would recommend cutting back on the lights until the tank cycles for
a while. The lights that I have have an independent switch for each
bulb, this makes it easy to reduce the wattage over the tank.

I agree with what others have posted, which is your tank is out of
balance. High light tanks require special attention, more of it.
You'll need to measure your phosphates, nitrates, ammonia, nitrites
until your tank becomes more stable. Search the web and read some of
the older postings here, there is a lot to learn to balance a tank
with high light.

Keep at it, high light tanks can be an adventure.

Later,
Tony