Old 21-12-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default I have been given an olive tree

In article ,
says...

The website I looked at suggested that they olives are hardy at least down
to -12C,
It is a year or two old from the pictures on the site (2 ft tall).
I am in Tyneside a couple of miles from the sea and it gets below freezing,
but only to -10C in a very extreme year.
Do I plant it in the ground or keep it in a tub?
Other helpful tips would be appreciated.

9 years ago I won a small one (1ft) in a raffle, and didn't expect it to
survive winters .No GH so thin king it was a hopeless case I parked the
pot out of sight in the garden and forgot it.A couple of years later I
found it again, alive and well and have potted it on twice; it's now in a
big ceramic pot. In the first few winters I towed it under the house eaves
for slight protection but it's too heavy now so don't bother. I live by
the sea and our coldest winter temps in that 9 yrs has been -6C. Last
winter we had about 3 weeks below freezing. The olive was fully exposed
but didn't even blink.

My olive is how about a metre high and across; would be twice that but
prune it quite hard; it grows about a foot every year. The trunk is
getting thick and gnarly, looks great. It flowered last years but no fruit
:-)

Janet West Scotland.