Old 27-09-2011, 06:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mad Cow Mad Cow is offline

Default Last flowers of summer: Cistus [1/1]

In article , Wolf K
writes
On 27/09/2011 8:29 AM, Mad Cow wrote:
[ Section: 1/1 File: zCistus01.jpg UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated Version

5.02 S ]

begin 644 zCistus01.jpg
M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`0$`2`!(``#_X1E017AI9@``34T`*@````@` #`$/``(`
M```&````G@$0``(````.````I`$2``,````!``$```$:``4`` ``!````L@$;
M``4````!````N@$H``,````!``(```$R``(````4````P@$[``(````!```

[etc]

As you can see, your image doesn't open automatically in my news reader
(Thunderbird). The reason is that the the header shows the message as
encoded in mime, but the message body itself shows that it's uuencoded.
(These are both methods of encoding non-text files so they can be
transmitted as text files, because all mail/news traffic is in text
characters only.) Your news reader is Turnpike: it has placed incorrect
encoding data in the header, so Thunderbird "reads" the file as text
instead of as an image.

The header says "MIME-Version: 1.0" (same as yours) but that's in the
header of every message whether it has an attachment or not. Everything
I can see in the header makes sense and none of it refers to the
attachment. If you're seeing something I can't, paste it into a reply:
there's probably nothing I can do but why not share the frustration?

FWIW Thunderbird is the only newsreader that does this, all others
decode the files correctly, but that's no help to you.

I don't know what Turnpike's default settings are, but somewhere you
should be able to ensure that the encoding information in the header is
correct.

It doesn't allow MIME in news posts, only in mail!
I've found Windows 7 home edition easy to live with except that the
last-ever version of Turnpike's incompatible with it and this version's
too primitive. I've tried other newsreaders but they didn't meet my
needs.

I can still open the pictures if I Save As the message on the desktop as
a *.jpg file, and open it from there, but it would be more convenient to
see the image when I open your post.

I know. I get that with M$ Office files.

I like the back-lighting, BTW. ;-)

Thanks - though maybe I should post some rubbish so that you can just
killfile me!

HTH

I'll see if anyone's in the pub tonight who's old enough to remember how
Usenet works. Something might come of it.
--
Sue ]