Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mad Cow Mad Cow is offline

Default Last flowers of summer: Cistus [1/1]

In article , Wolf K
writes
On 02/10/2011 1:11 AM, Travis wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:42:57 -0400, Wolf K wrote:

On 27/09/2011 8:29 AM, Mad Cow wrote:
[ Section: 1/1 File: zCistus01.jpg UUencoded by: Turnpike Integrated
Version 5.02 S ]

begin 644 zCistus01.jpg
M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`0$`2`!(``#_X1E017AI9@``34T`*@````@` #`$/``(`
M```&````G@$0``(````.````I`$2``,````!``$```$:``4`` ``!````L@$;
M``4````!````N@$H``,````!``(```$R``(````4````P@$[``(````!```
[etc]

As you can see, your image doesn't open automatically in my news reader
(Thunderbird). [...]

My newsreader is Pan and it displayed the picture just fine.

I've filed a bug-report with Thunderbird. It does in fact use only
message header information for decoding. That is, it expects the
standard message structure. Putting encoding data within the message
body is a no-no, but it seems Turnpike does this. If there are enough
"malformed" messages out there, the bug will be fixed.

Interesting: my expert says nothing in the message header relates to
attachments. What matters is the blank line followed by 'begin 664
filename' (or 'begin 666 filename' if you have a Microsoft emanation)
and the end markers.
That means if you attach one UUencoded and one MIME encoded file to a
message they should both be decoded successfully.
I'd like to try that in an e-mail to Thunderbird since I can't try it in
news; I haven't time just now but will try to remember it when I return
home...

Happy snapping
--
Sue ]