Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Record Setting Temperatures

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:09:21 EDT, JB wrote:

Set an all time high (115) and fifth highest (108) temperature last week
during a string of 100+ degree days and drought conditions. Glad I have
so much water lily surface cover on my pond to provide shade for my
fish. I expected to see some losses but, knock on wood, there were none.
I did slow down feeding my fish, gave them a day or two off the feed.
Not sure why I did this but it seemed the thing to do.

Was it?

Yes, water gets up to about 82+F and neither fish digestion nor the
bio-bugs work as efficiently, hey... kind of like people. ;-) I can't
imagine 115F, do you have humidity too?

Post military son has decided to stay in Texas for now, even looking to buy
a house. I can't help giving him a jab now and again.... as in, "R U
nuts?!" Course with a family to support it will be awhile and some equity
before he'd be able to make a move closer anyway.

We normally get a small span in the triple digits. In 2003 we had 3 days of
100s in June, when I was out of town. The koi spawned like crazy that year.
DH & DS were here, but didn't know not to feed or do a water change.
Thankfully all was fine when I got home and I had little koi fry soon
after.... that are now BIG fish, especially those my sister took home to
her 10,000g pond.

This year, I think will be our coolest summer ever. We have yet to have a
triple digit day... probably why my tropical lilies haven't done much of
anything. So goes the desert in the PNW.... and I have to say, I'm loving
it. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us