Old 16-08-2011, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Record Setting Temperatures

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 07:00:38 EDT, "ReelMckoi"
wrote:

"JB" wrote in message
Set an all time high (115) and fifth highest (108) temperature last week
during a string of 100+ degree days and drought conditions. Glad I have so
much water lily surface cover on my pond to provide shade for my fish. I
expected to see some losses but, knock on wood, there were none. I did
slow down feeding my fish, gave them a day or two off the feed. Not sure
why I did this but it seemed the thing to do.

Was it?

======================
They would need more food in the heat as it would speed their
metabolisms.

Sorry, disagree, their metabolism may be up, but one's filter is not up to
the extra waste. I've been googling for a chart with no luck. Since both
koi & bio-bugs rely on O2, and since this decreases in warmer water, I'd
hold to no more than a small feeding or 2/day if your water temp is 82F+.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us