Old 28-08-2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default Oven Roasted Water Lilies

I wrote earlier about the record setting high temperatures we
experienced earlier this summer. After more than 20 consecutive days of
100+ degree temperatures in July, climaxed by 115 and 108 in the same
week, the heat wave abated somewhat with a nice 3 inch rain, followed by
another one and then a good inch. The temperatures now are mainly in the
upper 90s but that's still a relief to what was.

This year it seemed as though we moved right from winter into summer. My
water lilies are plentiful but I opted not to thin them so as to provide
some shade from the sun for my fish. I would guess that I have (had) 80%
lily pad coverage on the pond.

A week or so after the record setting heat I noticed that the pads on
the lilies were turning bronze colored and curling on the edges. They
were also crisp to the touch. Oh yeah, before they'd get yellow with
brown spots and I'd trim them and throw the old pads on the compost pile.

I've had a pond since 1998 and I've never seen this before.

I estimate that 90% of the pads are this way. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm guessing/hoping they'll come back next year?