Old 22-12-2011, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Red Potatoes

On Dec 22, 12:37*am, songbird wrote:
wrote:
If there is anyone still around I have a strange question. We bought
50 pounds of tiny red potatoes back in October and they were great.
Now we are finding that they taste "sweet" for lack of a better term.
What could cause this? They are not growing, they are not soft, they
appear like they did back in October but they taste funny. In mashed
we have checked the milk, used filtered water to boil, really tried to
keep the variables the same. I hate to throw the last 15 pounds away
but they just aren't good. Besides I don't want this to happen again.
Any ideas?

* why would this be a problem? *i mean,
there are plenty of recipes that would not
be hurt by a sweeter tasting potato.

* german potato salad being one of them.

* cutting the spuds in half and then
boiling them will get rid of some of
the extra starch and sugars. *the
water from boiling potatoes is good for
making breads.

* songbird

Just didn't like the taste at all. They were cut and boiled and still
not good tasting to us. I is just nice to know that we are not crazy
and potatoes can and or will do this.
Thanks everyone for the insight