Old 22-12-2011, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Red Potatoes

wrote:
On Dec 21, 5:23 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
wrote:
If there is anyone still around I have a strange question. We bought
50 pounds of tiny red potatoes back in October and they were great.
Now we are finding that they taste "sweet" for lack of a better
term. What could cause this? They are not growing, they are not
soft, they appear like they did back in October but they taste
funny. In mashed we have checked the milk, used filtered water to
boil, really tried to keep the variables the same. I hate to throw
the last 15 pounds away but they just aren't good. Besides I don't
want this to happen again. Any ideas?
Thanks,MJ

I haven't had this experience and I haven't done any research so
this is just a guess, take it for what it's worth. The taters are
still alive and metabolising. The carbohydrate metabolism of many
plants converts sugars into starches and vice versa depending on
requirements. My guess is that your spuds are mobilising starch and
converting to sugar preparatory to producing shoots. Why don't all
of them do this in a way that is detectable? Dunno.

Whatever the reason for it I cannot imagine there is anything
harmful about it unless there is also solanine developing. Take the
usual precautions.

Thanks, could this have been caused by being refrigerated?

I've always understood potatoes should not be refridgerated. They should be
stored in a cool dark place. Could be worth researching.