Old 22-12-2011, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default oversize parsnips

hugh ] wrote in :

Report in DT the other day that parsnips in Norfolk were too large to be
accepted by supermarkets. The reason given the dry weather!!

Didn't have that effect on mine -but then mine were grown from organic
seed.
Maybe some genetic engineering gone a bit wrong?

Could it be a bit of both?
If a root veg. has no water it will dig down to get it, and all the way it
has to make it's head and trunk bigger to make the journey?
My own little experiments seem to be true to that, but of course not
scientific. More, trial and error.

I have found that if I water parsnip I get a large head on it but no depth,
and also lots of root shoots.
No water, big head and a big long root, and the tip breaks off if I don't
dig deep enough when harvesting them.

Baz