Old 24-12-2011, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default I have been given an olive tree

David WE Roberts wrote:
Advice from someone who's managed to not kill one always appreciated. ;-)

I haven't really pruned ours much - it seems to be doing fine at the moment
but no doubt will need pruning eventually.
About 6-8' tall including pot.

How big's the pot, out of interest?

The tiny little fruit may be as designed.
Our tree produces loads of small fruit - nothing like the commercial
olives - which overwinter then go black in the spring.
Then something eats them.

Presumably not you. :-)

From
http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/GrowingGuideOlives.htm
"Olive trees can be easily pruned to maintain the size and habit required.
We recommend that light, formative pruning is undertaken in mid-spring with
heavier trimming in early to mid-summer. Never prune during the winter and
be cautious in the autumn: like many Mediterranean trees, olives need some
heat and recovery time to heal wounds before the dormant winter period."

This sounds sensible advice.

It does. Much appreciated, thank you.