Old 26-12-2011, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey bobharvey is offline

Default Dawn Chorus

On Dec 26, 9:00*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
I had reason to be in the garden at dawn this morning, (don't ask and you
will NEVER guess why) and it was very mild. But what did surprise me was the
Dawn Chorus. I am always awake early, not that I go outside all that often,
but the question I ask is, is there always a Dawn Chorus? I thought it was a
nesting/mating thing.

Never too old to learn

All year round. It varies a lot. In winter it is mostly territorial,
defending feeding ranges, In spring it is about pairing, or defending
the mate. Obviously summer migrants are not hear in the winter, but
are replaced by birds who have come south. I think the winter one is
a bit thin, and over more quickly.

But yes, there is some sort of dawn chorus all year round.

Two nights ago I was out at dusk and the tawny owls were calling to
each other. They were all around me, I counted at least 12 different
calls, from different directions. Wonderful.