Old 26-12-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Dawn Chorus

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 03:19:42 -0800 (PST), bobharvey
wrote:

Two nights ago I was out at dusk and the tawny owls were calling to
each other. They were all around me, I counted at least 12 different
calls, from different directions. Wonderful.

They are so loud here sometimes that if it wasn't for the Double
glazing you would not get any sleep.I'm sure a group of them fly to
different parts of the village in sequence to make their presence
felt. If they were a group of teenagers people would be calling for
Asbos.
Sit outside and watch one occasionally with a night vision
monocular,other day it was on the neighbours shed roof for about half
hour with an occasional swoop into a field.
I was looking at it and it was looking at me the rest of the time.
Didn't seem bothered even though there was only about 30ft between
us.
Other half wanted to take a picture but I wasn't sure what a flash
would do to an Owls vision so we didn't.

G.Harman