Old 26-12-2011, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Darkside Darkside is offline

Default Dawn Chorus

In article , damduck-
writes

Two nights ago I was out at dusk and the tawny owls were calling to
each other. They were all around me, I counted at least 12 different
calls, from different directions. Wonderful.

Sit outside and watch one occasionally with a night vision
monocular,other day it was on the neighbours shed roof for about half
hour with an occasional swoop into a field.
I was looking at it and it was looking at me the rest of the time.
Didn't seem bothered even though there was only about 30ft between
us.
Other half wanted to take a picture but I wasn't sure what a flash
would do to an Owls vision so we didn't.

If the roof's a favourite hunting perch you'll get other chances.
Try putting the camera on a tripod (or rest it on a cushion on a
stepladder) and use a long exposure.
--
Sue ]