Old 28-12-2011, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Vegatables that help convert grassland into workable veggie patch?

On Dec 28, 2:34*am, Janet wrote:
In article 742a6955-9310-4309-a876-
, says...

On Dec 21, 10:38*am, Janet wrote:
In article 7b359958-ee09-4751-a1be-
, says....

On Dec 20, 2:10*pm, Janet wrote:
In article 1c190a01-4547-46e7-884a-
, says...

On Dec 19, 11:42*pm, Baz wrote:
NT wrote :

+1. Cardboard is excellent. I'd also plant something light excluding
the first yr, like nettles, pumpkins, courgettes, rhubarb, etc. If
you've got compostable material, that can go down under the cardboard.
Permaculture will wipe out most of the unnecessary physical work that
annual gardens require year on year, but it means getting used to a
whole different set of fruit & veg.

NT

I am very interested in this method of gardening, but why does it mean
getting used to a whole different set of fruit & veg?
Can't we just cut a hole through the cardboard and plant our usual veg.?

Just asking before I lay the cardboard and chuck the muck on top.

I trust you mean muck under the cardboard.

* IME *better to put the muck on top to help hold down the cardboard and
stop it blowing away.. By the time the much has weathered the carboard
will have disintegrated.

that means the cardboard will disintegrate pretty quickly.

* Yes, that's the intention. The cardboard is strictly temporary, only
required for a few months to defeat photosynthesis by the primary growth
(weeds, grass), killing them without *need for digging or weedkiller.