Old 28-12-2011, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Now is the time.....

On Dec 28, 10:04*am, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 5:56 pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Dec 26, 8:46 am, harry wrote:

to plant onions if you are entering any competitions.

You are late.

It was always a job to do before lunch on Xmas day.

I was once told one should plant /sow broad beans on the shortest day and
pick them on the longest Any thoughts on this ?

Bill

I think it depends on how cold your local weather gets. My nieghbour
had complete crop failure over last Winter though that was a bad one.
-14degC here.
I plant in Spring (I start them in our conservatory in March) and
still pick before the longest day so it seems pointless.
Did well this year, got lots in the freezer.

I was given the "advice" a long time ago and was wondering if it was
"gardeners lore"

Thanks for your reply.

Bill

Probably works in warmer parts. My neighbour has on some occasions
got beans 2 or 3 weeks before me. However usually quite a sparse
crop. Problems with pollination I think.

But most of ours go in the freezer,sp it's neither herenor there tomee.