Old 30-12-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Wellies

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:33:04 +0000, mogga
wrote:

There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

Desperately need some now (Probably need waders if it keeps raining
though! LOL)

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?

I think that garden footwear is one of those variables. Just as we
might use a different spade for different jobs, footwear's the same.

I have two pairs of wellies, one light and one with reinforced sole.
They don't get used that much but now and then they're really
appreciated. That's once or twice a year for concentrated effort.

For most of the time, I prefer slip on "deck shoes" - those blue
canvas things with elastic gussets that are sold as yatching shoes in
some places. These have little tread and, provided you're using a
lipped spade or a thickish fork, don't present a problem to the bottom
of your foot. Little tread means little mud pickup and they're easy to
slip on and off if you need to go indoors. (I tried clog things but
they make my feet sweat and come off too easily.)

In between I use old safety shoes - reinforced toe caps, soles,
chemical resistant stuff (not safety boots) - which have had the tread
worn off (round here they can be found in charity shops). More fuss to
get on and off but they don't collect mud in the worn treads and are
easy to scrape clean.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay
because Santa's delivered a new weather station
so now I'll know how dry it is when it stops raining!