Old 31-12-2011, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Mulching new veggie beds in windy location

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Make sure it is carpitus oldicus and not carpitus newidicus because
the man made fibres such as nylon etc don't rot and you are left with
a nasty mess which is all tangled up with stuff which does grow
through as some of it separates.
Been there. Done that in our last house where we had a big garden :-(.
Got the mess in my memory

Mike

Thanks for the replies. Already, I can see a problem arising with my
efforts: After wetting down the cardbordinum maximus, it is delaminating,
and thus becoming much more prone to wind-destruction. When the outside
skins come unstuck from the central corrugated element, one is left with
little more that three layers of brown paper, which is extremely prone to
wind destruction. I had thought of buying polythenus negra perforatum
(a.k.a. weedium membranus) to lay over the cardbordinum. What do you think?
the stuff could be pinned down with pegs all the way around the edges.

I gather membrane alone is not enough to suppress weeds, but a layer of
cardboard under the membrane should be effective, I think. The only
disadvantage, is the cost, perhaps. So perhaps I'll look into the carpet
option. But it would take a ages to rot, yes? Perhaps that's a good thing,
is it? I suppose it means it can be used repeatedly for a few years before
it starts tearing apart, yes?

Al