Old 01-01-2012, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mysterious Traveler Mysterious Traveler is offline

Default Mushrooms on plum tree

On 12/31/2011 02:21 PM, deb13b wrote:
My mum has an old plum tree in her garden, probably 20 years or more
old. It has always produced loads of fruit until a so-called tree
surgeon hacked it back early this year. It's been pretty grim looking
since then. Today she noticed the trunk and branches are covered in
mushrooms. ( Pic is below. ) It has been several days since she was near
the tree so she's not sure how long they have been there.

I've been googling but the only similar thing I found was mushrooms
growing round the base of the trunk, not all over. Will this tree have
to be cut down ? Or is there something to treat it with ? Mums also
worried it will spread to her other fruit trees.

I would greatly appreciate some help on this !

|Filename: DSC00667.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14642|

You could mix up a solution of dish soap and water, then
spray it on the tree and gently scrub with a soft brush.