Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Mulching new veggie beds in windy location

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Al I inherited a huge chunk of very overgrown land when I bought a
house in Leicester. I 'hacked' the weeds down to ground level, laid a
strip of compost down, covered this with 3 ft wide Poly, covered the
edges with earth so the wind wouldn't get under, cut a cross on the
middle of the Poly every 2 foot or so and shoved a spud into the
compost. Did this with 2 or 3 strips across the land. (Didn't cover it
all, it was half an acre). Harvested the spuds by lifting the Poly,
picking the most suitable spuds and put the Poly back.

Mike, That sounds like and excellent labour-saving approach. I recently
acquired a big chunk of land too, which I haven't started to tackle yet. It
is overgrown with tall grass and weeds, but the underlying soil is very
decent - so your method sounds highly appealing!

I am surprised that your potatoes' roots managed to penatrate the original
ground surface, considering that you didn't loosen it up or dig it over.
But obviously they did, and that's really good to know..

Al