Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Treasure!

On 01/01/2012 01:53 PM, Kathy wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

I saw it earlier, a wonderful story.

When we first bought here there was a small walled pond that had been
blocked and used as a farm waste dump. I decided to recover it, and dug
the whole thing out. It was filled with 'orribles, old needles and
ampule, various bones, plastic shoes, lots of shell, paint cans etc. At
one point I thought I'd hit a big oil can, but when the shovel scratched
it it was clearly copper. Turned out to be a beautiful alembic,. with
the serpent still intact. Unfortunately the top was stove in, apparently
by the tax man.

More than 20 years later I still haven't repaired the blasted thing...

-E