Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

[/quote]

Hi All,

Did anyone pick up on the obvious error in my last posting, I had stipulated a timeline of 400 thousand years for micro-organisms. This should have read 400 million years, apologies for said error.

Now I have thought about this for a while, and am of the belief that we could create our own nitrogen fertiliser by subjecting urine to the EM process.

I know that urine is, and always has been, used quite extensively in organic type cultivation, however it seems to rely on urea breaking down in the soil to release nitrogen.

It is mainly used in compost heaps or bins where there are an abundance of micro-organisms.

However most of the nitrogen is lost to the atmosphere!!

I am thinking that if we subject the urine to the massive amounts of EM's created by the brewing process, this will increase the breakdown of Urea, Creatnine and Uric acid.

Initially I will experiment with a 10% by volume of urine to the mixture, I'm not sure if this will create an organic nitrogen type fertiliser. However it does seem likely that such a result would be possible.

Will the EM's view the urine as a food source, I think that they will, as long as molasses is the main ingredient. There is a carbon ratio of 8:1 as I understand it for the breakdown of urea this is why I will use a 10% by volume of urine with molasses to attempt to achieve a nitrogen rich fertiliser.

Now given that this will be carried out in an anaerobic environment I believe that the loss of nitrogen will be restricted. I am also thinking that, if sufficient charcoal granules be added will ensure that carbon is available for said breakdown of urine, then we can I think achieve good results.

I also think that the urine used should not be fresh, it should be left in a sealed container outside for a week or 2.

I think that once the constituents have been allowed to settle at the bottom of the container, the water content should be drained off as far as possible.This liquid can be added to the compost bin or the soil, the remaining bottom residue should be decanted into another container. This cycle of events should be continued until sufficient of the real worth of the urine is 10% by volume of the EM container.

The average pH of urine is about 6 but can range from 4.8 to 7,5

Urine contains the following:-

95% water.

Urea.

Creatnine.

Uric acid.

The individual elements of which a-

Ammonium.

Calcium.

Chloride.

Magnesium.

Phosphates.

Potassium.

Sodium.

Sulphates.

I believe that Em's can and will breakdown the urea, creatnine and uric acid content into a useable nitrogen source, as always I may be totally wrong! However its all about experimenting with that which is vital to our needs at no cost!

As usual nothing ventured nothing gained!

I may also add it to my inoculation formula for charcoal if the concept is proved to be correct. The fact that EM's will be added to the inoculation liquid is to my mind a bonus.

These EM's will also begin to breakdown the blood, fish and bone, comfrey liquid and molasses into a form from which crop roots can easily assimilate the available nutrients. These nutrients will be more easily absorbed by the charcoal.

Now given that VAM's and EM's will be present in the soil, this should enhance the uptake of nutrition to all VAM and non-VAM type crops. This I believe will be evident in the growth of said crops which have received this inoculated charcoal in the case of VAM type crops.

Although I am actively seeking ways to enhance the TP effect within my soils I can also see the benefits for non-Mycorrhizal crops. The breakdown of nutrients by EM's will I believe enhance the uptake of nutrient of non-Mycorrhizal crops. This is what I believe will return the soil to a living entity where Mother nature's rules are obeyed and chemical cultivation discontinued!!!

If my thoughts are proved to be correct then there are at least another 4 or 5 other ways in which this process could be adapted and utilised within the TP framework.

It could change in some ways how we presently approach cultivation of the soil, I have jotted down some of the thoughts which I have had on the urine aspect.

These I will research to gain a better understanding of what I am actually thinking, and how it could benefit our crop potential.

TP as was created by these ancient Amazon delta native people in their pits would have been replete with EM's or similar micro-organisms and these pits were also used both as urinal and defecation pits.

Therefore large amounts of urine would have been present in said pits to create a nitrogen source not present in the parent soil.

However in that climate some of the water content would have evaporated. The charcoal would absorb the rest leaving only the urea, creatnine and uric acid content to be subjected to the charcoal and micro-organisms within said pits. This is I believe is one of the ways in which the TP system gained nutrient in that environment.

It is as I previously postulated, that charcoal can be likened to a hard dry sponge absorbing nutrient from all and every source.

Charcoal is a bio-accumulator, I have thought of many different ways to describe it whereby the essence of its nature is there for all to see.

This is how I think of charcoal:-

"Think of charcoal as an everlasting organic re-chargeable battery which absorbs and then releases nutrient as and when required", this is much closer to the truth of my understanding of how it works and its importance to TP soil.

Obviously in the Amazon delta this battery would have re-charged more quickly due the high temperature and humidity. Add to that the increased growth of the crops cultivated within that temperature zone.

However I can see no reason why the same should not happen in a zone 6 to 8 environment. It is in the nature of charcoal to perform this function given its absorbency and relationship with both VAM's and EM's in an organic environment.

The initial financial outlay may put some people off, as in the purchase of sufficient charcoal to approximate 30% by volume of the soil. However it is a one time buy, thereafter it should cost little to nothing to maintain this organic oasis of the past.

Having said that it can be built up year by year whereby cost is kept at an acceptable level to all who wish to follow this path to greater organic crop production. I see the anomalies as to the soil which you have, those with sandy soil should aim for a 3 foot depth of charcoal within the soil. this will preserve moisture. If you go back to a previous entry you will find soil types and how to treat them.

You can also purchase 10 kg of lumpwood charcoal for £8,99 including vat postage and packing from this source:- Lumpwood Charcoal for BBQ's 10kg | Supagrill Lumpwood BBQ Charcoal | Supagrill Barbecue Charcoal | Creative Garden Ideas

It maybe that we don't achieve that which was achieved in the Amazon delta, but we will grow a soil worthy of the name providing us with an abundance of food for our needs!!!

I had thought that it would take time for the TP effect to adapt to our environment, not it would seem so!.

Given the 30 to 45 % increase in yield already experienced in my first season of cultivation using this methodology I feel sure that this is just the beginning of the increased crop yields.

What we must remember is that these Amazon natives had fields which were 3 to 6 feet deep in charcoal. Whereas I, on the other hand, have only been using handfuls of inoculated charcoal !!!!!!!

The bottom line is the more inoculated charcoal we add to the soil the greater will be the increase in crops harvested. And the number of VAM spores ready and willing to infect our VAM type crops!!

Now I have read reports stating that disturbance of the soil reduces the number of VAM's and EM's within the soil. I find this difficult to believe since these natives cultivated many root crops which required to be dug into the soil and also dug up from the soil.

Since the dawn of soil cultivation humans have tilled the soil in one way or another.They reaped harvests in such sufficiency as to be able to sell or barter their excess crops for other goods. Therefore tilling of the soil would not seem to be a problem!

As far as I am aware the only things proven to destroy these micro-organisms are chemical fertilisers, weed killers and insecticides!!! These micro-organisms are extremely robust except when subjected to modern chemical crop cultivation.

However having said that we now have EM's which have been chosen for their ability to remove such toxins from our soils, rivers seas, and oceans, and as I have said before, I believe will be our saving grace in the fight against chemical cultivation of the soil and man made toxins in general.!! It is up to us to redress the balance of Mother nature if not for our own sake then for the sake of our children.!!!!!

These are just my thoughts, others will disagree.

The mind is like a parachute it is totally useless unless open.

Uriel