Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Encounter with a queen wasp

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
To add to last week.
I got some logs delivered for my woodburner and the next day I was
bringing 5 or so inside last thing at night (as you do)
I just got inside the house with them when I felt the most amazing pain in
the end of one of my fingers. I dropped the logs which luckily missed my
recently broken ankle.
I didn't know it was a wasp, but I suspected it, and I had forgotten how
much a wasp sting hurt. It's years since I had a sting and this was a big
saved up all the poison one that has been painful for 4 days.
Anyway she crawled out on my carpet away from the logs.

Part of me wanted to stamp on her. I didn't. I gathered her up on some
wood and put her outside. No doubt to go back to my woodheap. I like
wasps. Normally.

For the first time in my life I found a queen wasp.
By touch, naturally.
I was moving some stuff out of my daughter's loft and picked up a piece of
board with the wasp under it.
I thought I'd touched a live electric connection at first.

The wasp did not survive the encounter.

There seem to be a lot of reported incidents this year but I don't recall it
being an especially good year for wasps around here.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder