Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Chickens

In article ,
says...

I was surprised when I looked up hens/chickens to see how many
varieties there are, even the bantams seem to have a few variants.
I was sort of hoping to find a couple of varieties to pick from
but there's too much choice really.

I have two options, one is too seek breeds further afield and the
other is to visit our local farmer (who the wife knows) to see
what they have as they do supply chickens.

Don't accept give-aways.. they will always be the other persons least-
desirable hens (old, poor layers, egg peckers etc)

If you primarily want hens for the eggs I suggest you ask the farm if
they can supply point of lay (this is an age reference) hybrids bred for
commercial egg production. They will have been expertly raised and in good
health; and are easy to keep either penned or freerange. Feed them
commercial layers pellets , wheat as a snack, and all the green grazing
they can get.

From a gardening POV I found free range commerical hybrids do a lot less
garden damage than old pure breeds (which are bigger heavier birds for
dual egg/meat and eat more).

Janet.