Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Chickens

In message
Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

I was surprised when I looked up hens/chickens to see how many
varieties there are, even the bantams seem to have a few variants.
I was sort of hoping to find a couple of varieties to pick from
but there's too much choice really.

I have two options, one is too seek breeds further afield and the
other is to visit our local farmer (who the wife knows) to see
what they have as they do supply chickens.

Don't accept give-aways.. they will always be the other persons
least- desirable hens (old, poor layers, egg peckers etc)

If you primarily want hens for the eggs I suggest you ask the
farm if they can supply point of lay (this is an age reference)
hybrids bred for commercial egg production. They will have been
expertly raised and in good health; and are easy to keep either
penned or freerange. Feed them commercial layers pellets , wheat
as a snack, and all the green grazing they can get.

From a gardening POV I found free range commerical hybrids do a
lot less garden damage than old pure breeds (which are bigger
heavier birds for dual egg/meat and eat more).

Janet.

Okay thanks for that, definitely point of lay, I will have to wait
and see what our local farm have to offer as they may not yet have
what I want.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk