Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Chickens

In message
Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:34:17 +0000, stephen.hull wrote:

Have decided to bite the bullet and get some chickens in the spring
after I do some garden preparation first, we had six chickens some years
ago (but not here) so know what to expect and what is involved etc, just
not sure what type to go for. Last time we had bantams, I am thinking of
getting about four to start with and maybe add another couple later on.

Speckeldy or Meadowsweet Ranger. Get all six at once or the new ones will
be bullied half to death when introduced.

Last time a got six at once and they were fine all coming from the
same farm, however my next door neighbour at the time was a bin man
and he brought a chicken home one day and gave it to us, there was
pandemonium in the coop and we had to separate the new hen from
the others for about a week or two until they settled down,
definitely a pecking order.

I cannot decide if I need six hens or to just stick to four
although I do have space for more but as their run will be static
I don't want to have too many IYSWIM.

I intend to purchase a 8X4 garden shed in the spring and fabricate
it to suit rather than just have a pre made purpose built coop and
sacrifice the bottom half of the garden which is just bark ATM.
The chicken run will be about four yards square, that's my plan
anyway.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk