Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Chickens

In message

On 2012-01-04 16:25:33 +0000, said:

In message

On 2012-01-03 18:34:17 +0000,
said:

Wow even more hens I've not herd of, at least I now know what to
look out for, I'll keep you posted and thanks to all for the
advice given so far.

Stephen.

They're in a field behind the car park which is rapidly getting used up
with trees, chickens, extra standing for plants and all sorts of things
besides. However, the thing is that we have enough space for them to
be moved regularly and that does make it easier to decide breed and
numbers. We have two coops, each of which is said to be big enough
inside and in the run, for 6 birds. Naturally, they prefer to try to
squeeze into one! But once they've made a real mess of their current
area, which is pretty big and surrounded by electric fox fencing,
they're moved to another. It's a sort of waltz round the area,
eventually bringing them back to the original spot. Once they all
start laying well in longer daylight hours, we'll have 12 eggs a day,
potentially. But as some come to us, some go to my step-daughter and
step-son and others can be given to those who work here or to other
friends, we'll never be overcome. I think.

I could use a small coop and move it round but we want to keep
half of the bottom garden clear so we can sit in the dapple shade
under the fruit trees on hot summer days, if we had the coop
mobile we would have to sit at the top of the garden, selfish
may be but the bottom area is too big for half a dozen hens to
roam round, although they will still be free range, I hope.

I can make a boxed in cupboard inside the shed to store the hens
food etc in which I can't do with a small coop, plus I will be
able to walk round the shed making it easier to clean and from
previous experience I know hens can be very messy creatures.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.