Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Totally OT. Great British Railway Journeys

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:17:39 +0000, (Peter James)
wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 15:52:38 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Bill Grey" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
This gem of a programme has ben mentioned here before and I know a
number
of you have watched the previous series. There is a new series of 25
programmes starting nightly from tomorrow at 6.30 on BBC2.

An excellent presentation by Michael Portillo.

Yes, he does a quiet relaxed presenting job which suits the subject and
he
has that happy knack of being able to talk to anyone. A friend of ours,
who
would never vote anything but Labour, said after watching the first
series
that had he still been in Parliament she would have voted for him.
Praise
indeed, believe me.

She forgot that he was Mr Pole Tax?

I wouldn't vote for him. He does a better job by not being in
parliament.

One of my happiest memories was watching the General Election on T.V all
night, was it '92, and looking at his face on the T.V. at about 3.00
a.m. in the morning as the result of the vote for his seat was
announced. If ever a mans face would have curdled milk, his would have
done. I treasure that memory. Those were the days.

He is in another programme on BBC 4 tonight
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...verything.html

Also featuring Portillo, I believe, who was an old boy of Harrow Grammar.
Strange how one who had the reputation of being extremely arrogant as a
politician has mellowed as a TV presenter. He even managed a self
deprecatory joke about the Community Charge (the so-called Poll Tax) in
yesterday's railway programme. I enjoy his programmes, and am surprised that
Cameron hasn't ennobled such an effective communicator. Obviously, Portillo
can't be donating much to the cause ...