Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Franifer Franifer is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Agave victoriae-reginae. A very popular plant in cultivation, though the one you show has taken many years to get that magnificent. Comes from the Chihuahua desert in Mexico. As with many desert plants where overnight frosts are common, it will cope with quite low overnight temperatures, eg -10C or even rather lower. But what it doesn't like are persistently humid/damp conditions, or prolonged cold. So here in England I have to grow it as a house-plant, though I think a few people in favoured spots with carefully prepared super-drained ground conditions and winter rain-protection manage to grow it out of doors. There are various horticultural cultivars, such as variegated forms, etc.
Thank you so much, my father had never seen this type of plant before and I would very much like to purchase this for him to grow. Thank you!