Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_2_] Farm1[_2_] is offline

Default Straw Bale Gardening

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:

Have you tried tomatoes, onions, squash, or melons?

I've planted a pumpkin into a well rotted bale into which I cut a hole.
It
did well. If I was going to plant toms or beans, I'd do them in a bed
with
bales around like Len did but in a smaller bed than he used. The spuds
did
well in the bed we put bales around.

I always rot my bales for a while before doing anything with them unlike
Len did. I buy bales and drop them on the ground and then turn them when
I think of it so the soil microbes can start work on them.

It appears to me that Len uses the straw bales for both the base and the
edge of a garden plot.

No, he just uses them round the edges. The base is lawn. He may not even
use them anymore - those pics on his site are now quite old.