Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default seeds

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 23:54:04 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:
Going to try and start some hot pepper seeds again this year. Last year
near the beginning I got lots of mold. I also did not soak. Took over 6
weeks before I goy any sprouts. Too cool downstairs. I'm going to try a
tray and use a cover this time watching wetness, upstairs where it warmer.
Any tips?

Covers, without air movement, are almost guaranteed fungus factories.

Try a soil temperature (not air temp) in the 78-85oF range for 10-14 days;
plant the seeds with a couple of inches of decent potting soil under them
and cover with plain 'ol sandbox sand, about 1/4" thick. Top of the water
heater or the top of the refrigerator or on a board over an old fashioned
radiator is about right. Should see sprouts in 10-14 days.

Kay