Old 08-01-2012, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anthony Frost Anthony Frost is offline

Default Planting spuds

stuart noble writes:

Bill wrote:
I'm sure I've read somewhere about people planting potatoes in large tubs.

I did this a couple of years ago (March?) using the standard B&Q black
builders' buckets, general purpose compost, and supermarket King
Edwards. Started by just covering the spud, then buried all but the
tips of the leaves as they grew.

I use old potting compost bags, just jab a few holes in the bottom
with a fork for drainage. The advantage of using a flexible container
is that you can roll the tops right down to start with so the new
foliage gets plenty of light, and raise them a bit to match the soil
level every time you earth up.

Anthony