Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Need receipe for virussed plants, please

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:18:41 +0000, Spider wrote:

A few years ago, someone helpfully posted a recipe which used aspirin to
help cure virussed plants. I'm sure I marked it as interesting, but now
cannot find it.

I have a patch of isolated Leucojum bulbs in the garden which are
displaying virus-like symptoms. When in flower, the green marking on
each petal is elongated into a central stripe, which is potentially
*very* attractive. Sadly, there is some distortion in the flowerheads
(due to virus?) which spoils their beauty and prevents me from
propagating them.

I'm really interested in curing the virus and growing these bulbs on to
find out if the attractive striping i)persists without the virus, and
ii)if that striping is generally stable over a few generations without
reverting to the virussed distorted from, which certainly isn't attractive.

Does anyone remember the aspirin recipe or, indeed, have any other
advice? Thank you for your time.

It may be an old wives tale but the "recipe" I've seen is 300
milligrams of soluble aspirin, 2 gallons of water and 2 tablespoons of
mild liquid soap, the latter to help the mixture stay on the leaves.
Spray every 3 weeks.

The main ingredient of aspirin - salicylic acid - was identified in a
Cambridge University study as something in plants' health arsenal.
Deets at
http://www.innovations-report.com/ht...ort-27302.html

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.