Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Need receipe for virussed plants, please

On 10/01/2012 18:10, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:41 pm, wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:18 pm, wrote:

A few years ago, someone helpfully posted a recipe which used aspirin to
help cure virussed plants. I'm sure I marked it as interesting, but now
cannot find it.

I have a patch of isolated Leucojum bulbs in the garden which are
displaying virus-like symptoms. When in flower, the green marking on
each petal is elongated into a central stripe, which is potentially
*very* attractive. Sadly, there is some distortion in the flowerheads
(due to virus?) which spoils their beauty and prevents me from
propagating them.

I'm really interested in curing the virus and growing these bulbs on to
find out if the attractive striping i)persists without the virus, and
ii)if that striping is generally stable over a few generations without
reverting to the virussed distorted from, which certainly isn't attractive.

Does anyone remember the aspirin recipe or, indeed, have any other
advice? Thank you for your time.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

There is no cure for viruses (virii?) in plants (or humans), except
dig up and burn. That's why people die of AIDS and influenza.- Hide quoted text -

What you are thinking about is a bit I posted about a customer of mine
who used soluable asprin to dose young plants that were showing signs
of virus.
I was going to try it last year but with things as they were I never
got round to it.
Soluable asprins are cheap,
Salicylic acid is a growth stimulant.
So who knows, it may work, and it.s not going to break the bank
experimenting.
David@ the wet end of Swansea bay

Many thanks, David. I knew I hadn't imagine it! Will give it a go when
growth starts in earnest. I'll report back.