Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Montbretia (crocosmia?) gone mad!

On 06/01/2012 18:42, Terry Deans wrote:
Anyone got any tried and tested methods to rid an area off these plants
and corms please? All around tree and shrub/hedging too. Lovely orange
flowers but now just a jungle and invasive. My idea was to do the 'just
dig them all out' method. Can there be any other way? Prob not. Just
wanna be sure they don't return cos I know how persistent these wee
fellas can be!! Thanks anybody.

Although it looks attractive, crocosmia is an invasive weed once it gets
going. It spreads by its corms underground and by the cormlets above
ground There are some cultivars which are better behaved, I am led to
believe (but I am staying clear of crocosmia!).

You cannot dig them out. The corms break up underground and you may end
up with an even worse problem (muscari are similar)! Spray the plants
with glyphosate at the recommended strength. Wait two weeks and spray
them again. After another week they should be showing signs of
yellowing. If any aren't, spray them again. Whenever new green growth
appears respray. After 6 months or so you should be free of the plants,
but there may be some hangers on, so treat these as soon as you see
them. Once the glyphosate has done its thing, there is no need to dig
what's left out.

--

Jeff