Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What climbing vines/flowers to use on pillars at front of house????

On 10/01/2012 21:17, Biglarry wrote:
OK thanks for the advice guys. I fancy the idea of vines and might pull
up the flagstones, would a large flower pot not suffice then? Has anyone
tried jasmine or passion flower? These are 2 varieties that appear may
fit the bill quite well....

I'm based in Manchester, UK so we have cold winters (doesn't go below -5
degrees C) and summers are mixed...

You mean wet and very wet? ;-)

You haven't said which way the front of your house faces. If it's
north, you will be pretty limited in your choice. If it's south or
west, you are much better off.

Passion flower, if it is happy, will grow like mad. If your soil is
fertile, you will get lots of leaf and very little flower. Remember too
that no plants will grip smooth steel - they may get up a few feet by
twining, but will then slide down.

Evergreens such as Trachelospermum jasminoides or Stauntonia hexaphylla
give good cover, with the benefit of small highly-scented white flowers.
They are both vigorous when established, but perhaps not so much as
Jasminum officinale. If you want something in flower when little else
is, Clematis cirrhosa balearica would be a good choice.

Lots of suggestions he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=380

--

Jeff