Old 13-01-2012, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Spuds!

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:29:39 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article ,
writes
We are trying out T&M potatoes this year instead of treking down to
Hampshire. They arrived today. Had completely forgotten what we had
ordered. Turns out it was:

20 King Edwards
20 Kestrel
20 Maris Piper
20 Lady Christl
20 Desiree
20 Cara
20 Charlotte
20 Rocket

Good grief, do you have several allotments then to put them all in?

I have just lifted the turf from around 10 square metre of (coarse)
lawn to bring it back into productivity after a fallow period of
around 20 years . I have around 30 Sharpes Expess tubers to plant
over the next few weeks. Never tried them before, so breaking new
ground in more than one sense.

The Blight arrived late last year and scuppered my plans for new spuds
at Xxmas. I removed all foliage before (I hope) it got to the roots.
That patch is now planted with overwintering onions.

Last year's main crop patch is now down to Garlic. Last year's garlic
patch no longer exists (from a soil perspective). T'was too dry/free
draining anyway. Extra Garlic will be planted in the space over-run
by Butternut Squash vines. Lots of fruit but according to 'Er
Indoors, not up to much. I will not be trying that seed again this
year.

Bl**dy foxes are trying to dig into the large pot containing a
Timperley Early Rhubarb plant. The application of more wire mesh is
indicated over the weekend.

Despite the frost, the Coriander still appears to be surviving. And
the Lettuce.

Regards
JonH