Old 20-04-2003, 09:20 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Climber to cover a dead conifer in the wrong place.......

Honeysuckle

"Richard Roocroft" wrote in message
:
: At least, it will be dead when I ring it !
:
: The trouble is, our garden faces due west, and I mistakenly planted a
: 'slow growing' conifer halfway along the south-facing border with our
: neighbour. (ie, on the left when you look out our back door.)
:
: This now 10' tall conifer unfortunately casts a lot of shade across the
: lawn in our 35' long x 25' wide garden. I was going to dig it out, until
: I thought of the possibility of killing it & growing something up it.
:
: Now I'd love a clem to put up it, but won't the buds all head for the
: sun (not that I blame them !), and we won't derive any benefit ? Not
: that we begrudge our neighbours, they're wonderful, it's just that we'd
: like to see *some* flowers at least on the north-facing side of the
: conifer.
:
: Would I be better to consider to choose a different type of climber ? Up
: to now we've gone completely with large-flowered hybrids, but have lost
: a few this last winter - thought I was doing the right thing in the
: occasional hard prune ((
:
: Just got our first viticella to cover a short wall, so am lookin forward
: to lots of smaller flowers this summer.
:
: Regards to all, and thanks from you experts !
:
: Roo.
: --
:
: Gravestone Epitaphs :
:
: About time YOU turned up ! Where've you been ?
:
: Will you stop crying & get the bloody grass mown !
:
: What does this button do ?
:
: Please e-mail yours to add ! Keep smiling. Thanks.