Old 15-01-2012, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ceanothus cuttings

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have an incredibly fruitful (or rather, flower-ful) Ceanothus tree -
I call it my Presbyterian tree because I acquired it at a sale of work
at the Presbyterian church next door to me -
and I want to take some cuttings to Italy at the beginning of March.

What is the best strategy?
Should I try and root them now before I go away,
or should I take cuttings just before I leave?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy

Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as the
plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic bag over a
pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not normally successful.
If you can wait they root quite easily in a cold frame over winter taken
about October

However you do it, they dislike root disturbance so pot up carefully once
rooting has started

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs