Old 16-01-2012, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Chuck Banshee Chuck Banshee is offline

Default Serious question: Urine as a nitrogen source for organiccomposting

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:02:23 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

I found
this interesting paper from the Journal of Agricultural and Food
Chemistry, 2007, 55, pages 8657-8663 titled:
Use of Human Urine Fertilizer in Cultivation of Cabbage
(Brassica oleracea)––Impacts on Chemical, Microbial, and Flavor Quality

I forgot to post the URL to the scientific paper:
http://www.nku.edu/~longa/classes/ca...cs/cabbage.pdf

I find it suspect that they found the urine-fertilized cabbage tasted
'better', as I would have expected no differences between commercially
fertilized and organically fertilized (i.e., urine-fertilized) cabbage.

Still - my question is HOW best to keep the nitrogen in the compost from
turning into ammonia gases and simply venting away.